What Is Home Care?
Home Care is intended to assist individuals to maintain their independence and remain in their homes for as long as possible, fulfilling their need for physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspects of care.
The role of Home Care is to:
- Support families in caring for their loved ones.
- Assist individuals to maintain their independence.
- Promote wellness.
- Delay the need for institutional care.
- Provide care in a holistic manner.
- Provide client centered care which will promote independence and support the family as the primary care giver.
We strive to provide a high-quality client centered care that addresses the changing needs of our clients on a continual basis.
What Services Do We Provide?
Assessment and Care Coordination, this is carried out by:
- Talking with you and your family
- Talking to your doctor and other who have cared for you
- Reviewing your health history
Information is gathered from these sources and used to plan your care and the services you need. This plan is discussed with you. After the initial assessment, case management will be carried out with an on-going basis to ensure that your care plan changes as your needs change.
Home Nursing Services, this is:
- Nursing care provided in the home
- Medication management
- Dressing changes
- Chronic disease management
- Teaching of care to the client/family members
- Supervising home care staff
Personal Care, assistance with:
- Bathing and grooming
- Assistance with eating
- Skin care
- Maintaining medical regimes
- Promoting self care
Home Management, which includes:
- Menu planning
- Meal preparation
- General household cleaning
End of Life Care:
- This involves assisting families to care for the dying in the home, and assisting clients who wish to die at home.
- Caring for clients when it is not safe to be left alone when family members need a break.
How Is Someone Referred To the Program?
A client may be referred by:
- Family Members
- Community Health Representative (CHR)
- Community Health Nurse (CHN)
- Other Community Members
Who Can Benefit from Homecare Services?
Persons of any age who:
- Have been discharged from hospital
- Have a chronic disease or illness that needs follow-up care
- Are unable to live alone while waiting for placement to a long term care facility
- Having a disability requiring assistance to live in their own home
- Choose to live at home as long as it is safe to do so with available assistance
Others Who May Benefit from Home Care Services
- Family and friends who need support to continue to care for clients in the home.
Home Care is not intended to replace family support, but enhance it.
The following links provided deal with (1) Non-Insured Health Benefits, (2) Falls Prevention, and (3) Safety in the Home.